Wednesday, December 14, 2005

My Journey to Ground Zero

9/11 was over 4 years ago now... wow.

Just last week, I was in Manhattan - for the first time in my life. It was quite surreal being on the top deck of a double decker tour bus that carried me through times square. I snapped the photo below as the bus was taking off.


By the time the bus made it to the Ground Zero stop it had grown dark outside. I stepped off and suddenly I was overcome by the strangest feeling...

There was an incredible sense of loss... I don't know that I can put words on it. I found myself walking toward the plot of land where the twin towers had once stood.

So much of my mission in life has been shaped around the events that happened on that fateful day in 2001. The absence of these buildings and the people who once occupied them were like an invisible monument marking at once the greatness of the human spirit and the great threat now posed to the human spirit.

Had that event not occured 4 years ago, I would have been standing with my head tilted back, paying homage to what was perhaps the greatest symbol of mankind's heroic spirit... yet, instead I was standing there looking at nothing...

The begining of the end? Or the begining of a new generation where human beings discover what it is to live true to our heroic nature?

The future I envision is one where an event like 9/11 is beyond comprehension... not because America is a great military force, but because human beings all over the world have transformed the very idea of what it means to be human...

Ground Zero... the end? or the beginning?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home